Corporate Mission Statement
To provide value to our customers, employees, and shareholders through the manufacture of a product or delivery of a service in an ethically and environmentally responsible manner to ensure long-term, profitable growth of the company.
SMC Packaging is committed to sustainable and environmentally responsible business:
- SMC Packaging’s Sustainability Initiative will be based on good business practices, positive payback, and customer benefit.
- Sustainability at SMC will focus on resource utilization, narrowing metrics, design enhancement, fiber efficiency, education & outreach, new markets, and communications.
- We will establish our mission, goals, action items and metrics to assess positive delivery to meet expectations (ISM, MLB, NFL, etc.).
- We will improve the process through evaluating customer need, supplier capability, and by utilizing industry and corporate expertise and best practices.
- Our Sustainability Study Group is made up of SMC employees, customers, and suppliers. This group will supply direction and focus to our sustainability efforts.
Sustainability SOS - Environmental Pragmatism & Good Business
SMC’s sustainability initiative will be based on good business practices and on the three “SOS” elements --1) Sourcing, 2) Operations, and 3) Sales.
- One key element of sustainability that is of primary concern to our customers is the sourcing of our paper, its recycled content, and its sustainability “merits".
- While evaluating various certifications, it became obvious that a Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) Certification for our industry is most common / appropriate for our purposes.
- Most of our containerboard line of supply is certified to the SFI Standard. We have been certified since 2009, and print this certification as appropriate on all packaging.
- The focus internally will be to maximize resource utilization and to eliminate waste. Through our Sustainability Study Group, best practices will be shared with customers and suppliers for maximum improvement.
- We will focus our efforts on plant energy efficiency, fleet fuel efficiency, trailer / load utilization, load head and backhauls, carbon offsets, manufacturing process integrity, and fiber-efficient design.
- Design & Product / Package Evaluation -- Many of the Wal-Mart Scorecard elements are tied to design. While the redesign process is very familiar to us, under the sustainability umbrella, we will have the opportunity to reconnect to our customers and re-establish the relationships that can foster design and process improvements.
- Education and Outreach -- We will stay involved in our communities and engaged in the discussion of sustainability. Through recycling education and the distribution of our products and services, we can extend the positive attributes of what we do to the larger community.
- New Products, Markets, & Services -- With our wax replacement technology, we see the opportunity for new market penetration in our recycling containers, fabricated stone packaging, and alternative food contact packaging.